Monday, April 21, 2014

A Ham Dinner is as easy as...Making a Ham.

Happy day after Easter if Easter is your flavor.
 
We had the bunny thing in the AM, went to church, had the families over to eat, and then some easy clean up.
All with enough time to take a short walk to wiggle off our super healthy, low calorie 'Linner'.
Then hosed off the kids before bed , and were ready for the DVR replay of Mad Men.
A productive day I would say.

Many contributions were made to the meal we had, which made hosting very low-stress.  One of my responsibilities was the ham, and I wanted to share that if you ever are in need of a large hunk of meat--making a ham is the way to go.  So easy.
This is what I did.

In true cave family style, the man of the house procured a ham large enough for 15.  It was a fancy spiral sliced kind.

I then unwrapped it, put it in a roasting pan, tented it with foil, and put it in a 325 oven while we went to church (approx 2 hours).

When we got home, I made the glaze and poured my determined right amount over it. I also turned the heat down to 300 and took off the foil tent. I repeated that every 20 minutes--about 2 or 3 times.  (I ended up turning the oven off before the last installment as the ham was getting a nice 'crackle' on the outside but there was concern that it was perhaps going to burn).

We then hoisted the beast out of the oven, and set it on the stove. I gently placed the foil back on top of the ham, because it seemed like the right thing to do, and twenty or so minutes later it was laid on a platter and ready to devour.

Really.  That easy.

I used a recipe from The Pioneer Woman (www.thepioneerwoman.com) for the glaze.
The glaze was a mixture of 3 cups of brown sugar, 1 can of Dr Pepper, 1/2 cup grainy mustard, and 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.  I pretty sure that was it--checking the website never hurt.

It was delicious.
It was easy.
It made Easter for four kids and a house full-ish of people possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment